Kelly Hieronymus is a force.
And she uses her powers for elevated design and overstated hues.
When she's not walking her giant dogs, cheering on her husband who runs 50+ mile marathons, or designing high-end kitchens, she's producing. Kelly is one of the most creative people I have ever known. Not just in the paintings she's working on, or the design details she's plotting over, but in the sheer volume of ideas that are constantly flowing out of her. It's contagious. We are so lucky to have her on as one of our local vendors here at Hopscotch. She tells a story in each of her paintings that only a Champaign native could. Her narrative is from the sky, and that in itself sets her apart. Kelly and her husband Mark own a flight school locally and are often found teaching youth how to navigate the unknown, including her mentorship with South Side School.
You can find some of her work for sale at Hopscotch including original paintings of Champaign + Urbana from above. Looking for a custom order of the neighborhood you grew up in? Contact her and she'll make you something amazing for your house like she did mine. We love local artists + we love Sunshine Studio.
now for the lightning round!
- Texting or talking? Texting. Always - I don't even know when people call. I turned that off.
- Favorite day of the week? Thursday
- Favorite city in U.S. besides the one you live in? Salida, Colorado is currently at the top of the list
- Nickname your parents used to call you? Kellogg
- Favorite holiday? Christmas-time because Christmas crafts #obviduh
- Dawn or dusk? Dusk - best time to be in the air.
- If you could travel back in time, what period would you go to? MMMMM, sometime when Woolly Mammoths existed, I want to see all the birds.
- Place you most want to travel? India or Mexico - I just want to be where it is colorful
- Favorite junk food? McDonalds fries
- Favorite childhood TV show? The Simpsons
- Favorite season? Fall - October, mostly - some of November
- Last Halloween costume? Oh, I don't dress up.
- Cake or pie? PIE
- Favorite ice cream flavor? Caraway Seed - Dingle, Ireland
- Favorite number? 10
- Where do you see Sunshine Design + Studio heading in the next year? I don't know about heading, but my goals include fabric, public art installations and collaborations, aaaaannnndddd more jewelry.
- What does a person need to be happy? A place where they can work freely and find their flow. Spending time with people that push but don't judge. Friends that understand the value of building something bigger than yourself. Color. Gooey Butter Cake. Golden and Chocolate Retrievers.
- What’s the best age? They all are equally awesome and sucky. Every year you have a chance to make goals and crush them, but you also have to deal with bigger and more adulty situations.
- Would you want to live forever? Where ever Mark is - so somewhere in the mountains.
- What's for dinner tonight? Buddha bowls - sweet potato chunks, beans, avocado, kale, blackberries, maple syrup, ginger, garlic. YUM
- What’s your favorite creative outlet besides painting? Recently, jewelry making - old hobby, new twist.
- Favorite type of tea? Rooibos
- Godfather or Star Wars? Neither.
- Big dogs or small dogs? FUCKING HUGE
- Do you have a hidden talent? I am an awesome made-up song singer. It's a gift, really.
- How many hours of sleep do you need? 10
- How many cups of coffee do you drink per day? 5-ish
- What's your ideal outside temperature? 65-ish
- When did you start Sunshine Design + Studio? 2-ish years ago
- Do you plan your color schemes? Yes and no-ish. When I work on a commission, yes. I spend time in my clients space and use colors that would enhance said space. For other pieces, not really - sometimes I take a picture of a color schemes I find: laundry, logos, other peoples work and use them as a base for a painting. Other times, I pick a color I want to see in my painting and move on from there.
- Giving presents or getting presents? Giving (and wrapping them!!!)
- What’s your favorite tool in the studio? This sounds dumb, but I value all my tools equally. I've spent a lifetime finding tools that work with me and my style, needless to say I don't keep tools around that don't serve me well.
- Polka dots or stripes? Is both an acceptable answer?
- Worst pet peeve? When people say 'warsh' instead of 'wash'. YOU DON'T WARSH YOUR CLOTHES! YOU WASH THEM!
- Climb a mountain or jump from a plane? Climb a mountain and fly in a plane ;)
- When people stand up for a standing ovation, are you usually one of the earlier people to stand up or one of the later? First to stand and last to clap. Gotta value the people who entertain us.
- What’s your dream second career? Interior Design, which is my second career!
- What type of milk do you put in your cereal? Unsweetened almond and Old Town Flowers honey.
- If there’s a spider in your house, do you kill it or set it free? Set that bitch freeeeeeeee
- Who’s a person you would love to meet? Picasso and dance with him in his studio.
- What’s something you could eat for a week straight? Veggie Chili and cornbread
- Dark Chocolate or Milk Chocolate? Dark.
- Do you eat shrimp tails? Absolutely not. Shrimp are gross.
- If you were given the opportunity to fly into space given today’s technology, would you take it? Yes. Yes. YES YES YES.
- When was the last time you stayed up past 4 in the morning? Flight to Ireland in June
- What’s the name of the street you grew up on? Scotsdale
- How many siblings do you have? 1, brother - Cameron
- Who’s your favorite Game of Thrones character? I feel like this is a little personal, pass.
- Sour Patch Kids or Swedish Fish? Swedish Fish
- What temperature do you like your thermostat at? 70
- Do you own a bicycle? Yes
- Who inspires you? The people I share my life with, more specifically the love I have for them.
- How do you feel about cranberries? I don't have 'feelings' for food, but my husband does... I can ask him how he feels, but you're going to be here a while.